Checking carbon monoxide and smoke detectors | KS ServicesChecking carbon monoxide and smoke detectors | KS Services

Check functionality and call for service to check for leaks

Fires and carbon monoxide poisoning are often associated with dangers during the winter months, and most people forget about these hazards during the summer. Carbon monoxide is the “silent killer” because the harmful gas is odorless, invisible and tasteless.

However, fires or CO leaks are just as life-threatening. Disaster can strike at any time, regardless of the season outside. If you use gas, for example, in appliances such as dryers, stoves, ovens or water heaters, you have CO-leak potential.

Ensure your family and home are safe by taking care of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. One of the best ways to keep your home and loved ones healthy is by investing in a preventative maintenance plan.

KS Services offers several different options to choose from affordable for any budget. Consider the risks of fires and CO poisoning this summer and take measures to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Safety is All Year-Round

The best way to keep your family safe is to check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Fires can still happen during power outages or severe thunderstorms when surges are likely to fry your heating and cooling system, or other appliances.

Your AC compressor can fry during a power outage and catch fire when the power switches back on. In the event of an intense storm, power down your air conditioner or heat pump to prevent a fire from starting.

Other causes for a fire in your home include:

  • Smoking indoors, especially in bedrooms
  • Electrical equipment with faulty cords or adapters
  • Candles left burning
  • Barbeques too close to the house
  • Flammable liquids not stored properly and near a heat source
  • Light fixtures in your home producing sparks, triggering fires on lamp shades or in light fixtures

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur if you use gas appliances with poor maintenance or a bad fitting. Even gas barbecues can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning without you realizing it.

Some opt to use a gas grill in the garage during inclement weather not realizing the potential for CO seeping into the home. In the event of a power outage, backup generators can leak carbon monoxide.

CO poisoning can occur within just 15 minutes after exposure, which is why it’s critical to keep your carbon monoxide detector active and ready to sense any dangerous fumes. Symptoms of poisoning include:

  • Weakness
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Confusion
  • Dull headache
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea or vomiting

Both your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors need to be placed well inside your home. Check your smoke detector at least once a month by using the test button.

Before the summer hits, check the batteries in your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. If you didn’t check them in the spring, check them now to be safe.

Another way to keep potential fires and CO poisoning in check is to invest in a preventative maintenance plan with KS Services. Our plans are affordable and will ensure your heating and cooling system is operating smoothly at all times.

Ensuring your HVAC system is operating at its best will reduce the risk of potential fires or carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a blown fuse in your unit or a leak in your gas line.

Make Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detection a Priority

Keep you and your loved ones safe by checking your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors this summer.

The threat of fire and CO poisoning still exists, regardless of the weather outside. Contact KS Services for additional help.