Just like all heating systems, heat pumps experience issues throughout the year which require HVAC troubleshooting to fix. Solve simpler heat pump issues with HVAC troubleshooting. If necessary, engage our NATE-certified heat pump technicians for the diagnosis and repair of more complex issues .
KS Services has compiled this HVAC troubleshooting for heat pump guides to help you quickly solve your simple heat pump issues and restore comfort sooner without the service fees.
Professional HVAC Troubleshooting for Heat Pumps
If you are not comfortable performing any of the HVAC troubleshooting steps below or your heat pump problem is more extensive, always call KS Services for professional help.
Our NATE-certified heat pump technicians are trained to diagnose and repair all heat pump issues. We also provide preventative maintenance to help you care for your Birmingham home’s heat pump and avoid performance issues such as the ones discussed below.
HVAC Troubleshooting for Heat Pumps
Heat pump won’t turn on
- Check the thermostat to make sure settings are correct (heat when heat is required, cool when air conditioning is required). Set the temperature either a few degrees higher than room temperature for heating or a few degrees lower for cooling, which should initiate a heat pump cycle.
- Check power sources to the thermostat. Change batteries if battery-powered. If hardwired, check the circuit breaker box. Is the breaker powering the thermostat tripped?
- Check power sources to the heat pump. Check the on/off switches located near your indoor and outdoor units. Have they accidentally flipped? Finally, check the home’s circuit breaker panel. Is the breaker powering the heat pump flipped?
Heat pump isn’t producing enough heating/cooling
- Make sure all registers throughout the home are open and all vents unblocked.
- Check your air filter. Change it if it’s clogged and restricts airflow.
Heat pump freezes up
- If the heat pump’s defrost cycle is not melting ice accumulated on the unit, turn off the system for HVAC troubleshooting.
- Check the air filter for clogs and replace it if needed.
- Inspect air vents throughout the home and make sure they are not closed or blocked.
- Try to gently remove any ice built up on the coil. Do not use tools which could damage the unit.
- Pour warm water slowly over the ice to melt it.
- If gutters above the unit are allowing water to empty onto your heat pump, reroute the flow of water away from your heat pump.
Heat pump makes loud noises during operation
- Loose cover panels often cause rattling noises during operation. Check all panels to the unit. Securely tighten all screws.
- Inspect ductwork if possible for loose sections which may cause noise during operation. You may be able to seal or tighten these sections yourself, or call KS Services for professional HVAC troubleshooting.
KS Services – HVAC Troubleshooting Experts in Birmingham
For professional HVAC troubleshooting of your heat pump issues, contact KS Services today. Our NATE-certified heat pump technicians are available 24/7 to diagnose and repair your home’s heat pump to improve performance and keep your home at comfortable temperatures year-round.