Carbon Monoxide | HVAC | KS ServicesCarbon Monoxide | HVAC | KS Services

Can carbon monoxide build up in my home?

Yes. Each year, carbon monoxide kills more than 200 Americans and sends nearly 5,000 more to emergency rooms for treatment, reports the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). It also has no odor, color, or taste, so it’s impossible to detect with your senses.

Where does it come from?

When carbon-based fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene or wood burn, they produce gases. When fuel combustion or burning isn’t complete, carbon monoxide enters the air. When household appliances, such as cookers, heaters, central heating boilers, or furnaces are installed correctly, poorly maintained, or poorly ventilated, it can put you and your family at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

How can I prevent carbon monoxide leaks?

Ensure all your appliances are properly installed, ventilated, and maintained. You also need to have detectors installed in your home. The CPSC advises that these detectors are the only way to alert yourself to the presence of toxic gas in your home.

What are the symptoms of CO2 poisoning?

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide may include:

  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

If you or someone in your family suddenly experience any of these symptoms, exit your home immediately and call 911. 

For information about how our products can help prevent carbon monoxide leaks, call us today.