When it’s thirty degrees outside, the last thing you want is your furnace to die. There are several ways to know if your furnace needs repaired or replaced before bad weather arrives. Be prepared for winter with HVAC maintenance and get some peace of mind. KS Services will efficiently manage your heating and cooling needs, whether it’s installation of a new system, regular maintenance, or repair work.
Regardless of the season, your heating and cooling equipment wears down over time, and frequent HVAC maintenance is required to keep your system in tip-top shape. You may wonder if there are telltale signs to indicate whether your unit needs a repair or just needs to be replaced. Check out these troublesome signs your furnace may be showing:
- Dry and dusty: Older furnaces aren’t able to clean your air and add moisture to it like newer models. If your house feels dry or stale during the winter, you may have an issue with low humidity levels. Low humidity creates a dry environment, which makes allergies worse in the winter and allows dust to accumulate more. Investing in a new furnace will help raise your humidity levels and keep your whole family healthy and happy.
- Age of the system: If your furnace is close to fifteen years old, replacing the unit is better than constant, expensive repairs. Older heating and cooling systems begin to drop in efficiency, and your energy bill will increase. Newer technology offers sadded benefits, like boosting energy savings and saving you money in the future on repairs.
- Repeated repair work: If your equipment requires frequent repairs, the cost to keep your current unit running might not be worth sinking money into it. Equipment that needs more work becomes less efficient, resulting in higher energy bills. KS Services will inspect your unit to determine if the unit is worth the added expense of repairing it or if replacing it would be better.
- Uneven temperatures: If some rooms in your home are too hot or too cold, you may have leaky ductwork, faulty thermostat readings, or your unit may be going out. The best solution is to call KS Services to have HVAC maintenance performed on your system. We will determine if the unit is at fault or if the thermostat needs replaced.
- Yellow flame: A furnace should have a bright blue flame to indicate that it is running correctly. If your flame is yellow or flickering, you should contact a professional right away. A yellow flame means carbon monoxide could be seeping into your home.
- Strange noises: Furnaces near the end of their life may begin making weird noises. You might notice squealing, popping, banging, or rattling when your heating and cooling system first starts up or as it runs. Preventive HVAC maintenance performed twice a year could determine if the noises are treatable or if it’s just a sign that your unit needs to be replaced.
Repair or Replace?
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned signs and still aren’t sure what to do, call a professional at KS Services! Sometimes the repair is small and can be easily fixed with a simple service call. If the problem is much more significant, our technicians will give you options on how much the repair will cost compared to the cost of a new heating and cooling system.
The most important thing is to increase efficiency to save you money. If the unit can be fixed and will operate efficiently for several more years, you should consider repairing instead of replacing. However, if constant repair work is needed to keep your furnace running, you are losing money on frequent repairs and decreased efficiency from your system.
Get the most out of your furnace this winter by scheduling HVAC maintenance to keep it running efficiently. Call KS Services for maintenance or if you are in doubt about replacing your current heating and cooling unit. Our NATE-certified technicians are ready to help you save money and energy!